Homelessness assistance

Our Continuum of Care (CoC) and other homelessness programs help homeless individuals by providing them with permanent housing and support services. We work with Integral Care (IC) and the Ending Community Homelessness Coalition (ECHO) to administer these program.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) created CoC and funds it through grants. The grants pay for rental assistance and support services. The program focuses on helping people who are homeless due to serious mental illnesses, substance use disorders, and AIDS or related diseases. Our goal is to help families and individuals move into permanent housing and achieve long-term stability.

To be eligible, you must be homeless and currently receiving services from IC. The primary target population is those considered chronically homeless. If you are currently experiencing homelessness, you may be referred to the CoC Program by Integral Care through a coordinated assessment system that the Ending Community Homelessness Coalition (ECHO) oversees.

If you are a veteran and are experiencing homelessness, contact your local VA clinic to inquire about permanent housing or complete a coordinated assessment by visiting Goodwill of Central Texas at 1015 Norwood Park Blvd Austin, Texas 78753 or The Southwest Health and Wellness Clinic at 2901 Montopolis Drive Austin, Texas 78741.

Support services

Application steps


Complete a Coordinated Assessment

ECHO’s Coordinated Assessment (CA) program is a process that helps people experiencing homelessness in Austin and Travis County find housing. The program is designed to help people find the right type of housing for their needs and connect them with the resources they need to maintain their housing.

You must be referred to the CoC program by Integral Care via ECHO's CA program.

Coordinated Assessment →

Determine Eligibility

To be eligible for CoC Program, you must meet the HUD definition of homeless. There are four categories of homelessness:

  1. Lack of fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence including individuals exiting an institution where they lived for 90 days or less.
  2. Imminent loss of primary nighttime residence.
  3. Unaccompanied youth and families with children who are homeless under other federal laws.
  4. Individuals and families fleeing violence or life-threatening conditions.

You must meet at least one of these four categories to be eligible for the CoC program.

View full HUD definitions →


Once identified, Integral Care case managers refer qualified applicants to the Housing Authority of Travis County (HATC) for the issuance of a housing voucher. IC case managers are responsible for assessing eligibility and determining whether a person meets the criteria for the CoC Program.

Apply for vouchers

After referral to HATC, the next step is to apply for a housing voucher. HATC will provide you with the necessary forms and information to complete the application. The application will ask for basic personal information, including your name, address, and income, as well as information about your housing needs.


If approved for the CoC Program, you will receive a voucher for rental assistance and supportive services. The voucher can be used to rent a unit from a private landlord who accepts the voucher, and the rental assistance is provided for an initial period of 12 months, with the possibility of renewal. In addition to rental assistance, supportive services may include case management, employment and education services, health care, and other services to help you achieve long-term housing stability.

More information


Applying for rental assistance can be a complex process, but we’re here to guide you every step of the way. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
We've received your message, and will be in touch shortly!
Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again.