Landlord Information


The Housing Choice Voucher Program is a federally funded program monitored by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The program is administered by local public housing agencies and provides rental assistance to eligible low-income households to enable them to obtain decent, safe, and sanitary housing. The program pays a portion of the rent directly to the landlord and the assisted family is responsible for the remainder of the rent.

The role of the landlord in the voucher program is to provide decent, safe, and sanitary housing to a tenant at a reasonable rent. The dwelling unit must pass the program’s housing quality standards and be maintained up to those standards as long as the owner receives housing assistance payments. In addition, the landlord is expected to provide the services agreed to as part of the lease signed with the tenant and the contract signed with the Housing Authority. The Housing Authority completes a rent reasonableness study on every unit before the initial leasing can take place and each time a rent increase is requested after the first initial lease term. This is done to ensure that the rent for your unit is reasonable compared to other similar units in the area.

Many landlords who already participate in the HCV program across the United States have shared their testimonials regarding the HCV program.

More information

Why become a landlord?

Becoming a landlord under the Housing Choice Voucher program comes with a range of benefits. Landlords can take advantage of free advertising of their available rental properties, ensuring a greater pool of potential renters. Additionally, landlords can benefit from free annual inspections of their units, ensuring their properties are maintained in good condition. Landlords may also use their own lease in accordance with state and local laws, giving them greater flexibility. Direct deposit rental payments from HATC ensure steady monthly rental payments, making it easier to manage finances. Overall, participating in the Housing Choice Voucher program can be a valuable opportunity for landlords looking to expand their rental business.

Leasing your property


Fill out landlord application

Landlords interested in participating in our HCV program can fill out our landlord application forms and submit them to us, and be on file as a potential landlord.‍

Submit the completed forms to [email protected]

Get landlord documents →

List your property

After filling out the landlord forms, you can list your rental units on the Affordable Housing website. The listing is accessible to all voucher holders.

List your property →

Select a tenent

You then select a tenant who is qualified, eligible, and acceptable to you. You may conduct any screening and background checks that you normally complete, such as those relating to credit and/or criminal backgrounds.


We will inspect the property. Once the submitted Request for Tenancy Approval has been approved, a representative will contact you to schedule an inspection. Initial inspections usually take place within 15 days of RFTA approval. If repairs are needed, time is given to complete them.

Sign the contracts

Lease and Housing Assistance Payment contracts are executed. The HATC will produce and arrange for you to sign all documents once the property is approved. Generally, the initial lease term will be for one year (12 months). After the initial contract term expires, the lease renews on a month-to-month basis, or you may sign a new lease.

Get paid

Payment will be made by the HATC, directly to you by direct deposit, within the first 5 days of each month. Payments are issued twice a month and begin as soon as all documents are signed to include execution of the Housing Assistance Contract (HAP) and lease.

Frequently asked questions

How do I list my property under the HCV program?

Landlords are able to submit their listing on for free. Tenants will be provided a listing upon receiving a voucher to move.

Who qualifies and picks my tenant?

You must do your own tenant screening and test for suitability.

Are there any landlord incentives?

The Housing Authority of Travis County (HATC) received 34 Emergency Housing Vouchers (EHV) from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for issuance effective July 1, 2021.  Eligible populations include low-income families who meet one of the following definitions of homelessness:

  • Homeless
  • At risk of being homelessness
  • Fleeing, or attempting to flee, domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, stalking, or human trafficking
  • Recently homeless and for whom providing rental assistance will prevent the family’s homelessness or having high risk of housing instability

If you execute a lease with an EHV program participant, you will receive $500 upon lease up and HAP contract execution. This is a one-time lease up incentive. If the lease is renewed for a second year, HATC will provide an additional one-time payment of $500 for retention. For more information, contact Housing Manager Victoria Perez via email at [email protected].

How much can I rent my unit for?

The HATC has Payment Standards by bedroom size that are guidelines for determining the maximum subsidy we can pay for a family. The Payment Standard is generally 100% of the current Fair Market Rates for Travis County. However, each unit is evaluated by the Inspector on a case-by-case basis. Each unit’s rent must be reasonable and comparable to unassisted private market rental units of similar size, location, amenities, quality, unit type, maintenance, utilities and services.

Can I request a rent increase?

Landlords may request a rent increase once per year following the first year of tenancy. Rent increase requests must be received by the HATC not later than 60 days prior to the tenant’s anniversary date. The rent increase request must be signed by the tenant. Fill out our lease renewal form, and submit it to [email protected].

Who pays the security deposit?

All tenants are responsible for their own Security Deposit pursuant to State and local laws.

What happens after I find a tenant?

Once you have identified an acceptable HCV/ Section 8 Participant, complete the Request for Tenancy Approval form & package that the tenant provides. Once those documents are received in our office, a Housing Inspector will contact you to schedule an inspection of the unit. The lease may begin once the inspection is completed with a “passed” status.

What will the inspector be looking for?

The Housing Inspector will be checking to see whether the unit is in compliance with Housing Quality Standards (HQS). These are minimum standards that any unit rented under the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program must meet. For more details, check out the inspection checklist above, under "More Information".

Can I use my own lease?

You are free to use your own lease. However, HUD regulations require that the HUD Tenancy Addendum be attached to an owner provided lease. If the owner’s lease contradicts anything in the HUD Tenancy Addendum, the HUD addendum shall prevail.

When can I expect my first check?

After we have executed the Lease and Housing Assistance Payments Contract and the owner has provided the HATC with proof of legal ownership, the contract is processed for payment. Generally, the first check takes approximately two weeks to 30 days. After the first payment is generated, subsequent checks are sent on the first of each month but no later than the 5th.

Who do I call if I have a question or problem with the tenancy?

Each tenant is assigned a Housing Specialist. The Housing Specialist handles any matters concerning the family’s income or household composition and payments.

Is my unit inspected after the initial inspection?

Yes. The HATC must inspect all participant units annually. This is generally done near the contract anniversary date. In addition, in the case of an emergency or complaint by the owner or tenant, a special inspection will be conducted.

Can I cancel the contract if I'm not satisfied?

No. Only the HATC can cancel the Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) Contract. An owner is free to terminate a lease agreement pursuant to the terms of the lease and applicable local law. Once the Lease agreement ends, the HAP Contract terminates automatically. The owner is free to initiate eviction proceedings should be necessary. However, you must notify HATC immediately of any eviction proceedings.

How long can I rent for?

The initial lease term is for one year. After the initial term, the lease continues on a month-to-month basis indefinitely so long as HUD continues to provide the appropriations needed to fund the HCV/ Section 8 Program and the family wishes to continue residency. You may choose to sign another year lease with the tenant or continue with the terms of the initial lease.

How do I inform HATC of a change in property ownership?

The owner must contact the Housing Authority prior to the sale of the property and provide the name and address of new property owner. The new owner must submit a written request for reassignment of the HAP Contract, along with proof of change of ownership.

Contact us

Victoria Perez

Housing Manager


If you have any question or concerns about our landlord program, don't hesitate to contact us. We'll clear up any concerns you have.
We've received your message, and will be in touch shortly!
Oops! Something went wrong. Please try again.